Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

Have a 2002 clk 320 wont come out of park last time I

Customer Question

have a 2002 clk 320 wont come out of park last time I changed brake light switch and it was fixed.. tried replacing switch again did not fix.. car has not been driven in a few months except around block few times.. shifts fine while driving
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: it was serviced 1 yr ago they changed then it may be low peddle did feel different
JA: What is the model of your '02 Mercedes?
Customer: clk-320 180,000 miles
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Like to I'm mechanicaly inclined just know diagnostic machine
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no car drives fine
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
One more thing friend did new brakes did not replace break sensors so there on
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

One of the more common issues besides the brake switch on this model is the shifter itself.It houses electronics that allow shifting out of park and these electronics can fail in this shifter to where the entire shifter has to be replaced.

The first thing I would check here is to see if you have brake lights with the engine running and brake pressed.If you do most likely the shifter has failed needing replaced.

You would need to have the fault codes read out to see what codes are set in all computers as one should be set related to this fault and most likely one is set for the shifter.

Not replacing the brake wear sensors will not cause this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The car did sit and replaced battery have not driven it far enough to reset computer maybe? and I once spilled a drink in shifter area they replaced some electronic thing underneath center console..
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
we still on
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Is it coming out of park now at all to drive it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just push a pen behind a hole behind shifter it pushes something that takes it right out of gear and then it shifts fine
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

O.k.,that is the manual release.

I dont see this as the vehicle needing driven for a long period of time to reset this fault unless you still have low voltage but usually this isnt the case if the engine starts up.

It does sound like they may have replaced the electronics/shifter when the drink was spilled but there is a chance it has failed again needing replaced as this is most common and may need the same part replaced again that they had replaced when the drink spilled.

It would be best to have the vehicle scanned for any fault codes.This way if any codes are set this will help with diagnosing and locating the fault here.This needs done with either a dealers sds machine or a compatible scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers.I do suspect the shifter is the cause here again.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete