MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes

My 2007 B200 Turbo when I place key fob to start vehicle it

Customer Question

My 2007 B200 Turbo when I place key fob to start vehicle it will click and not start up.
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: no I have not. Did not realize it could be that. The car will start if I wait a few minutes. So can it be as easy as changing the Fobs battery?
JA: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything. I thought it could be the actual battery. But I will try your suggestion and go from there. Like I mentioned the vehicle will start at first. When I drive to whatever destination and park. After I return from shopping etc. I will start the vehicle as normal with key fob and I will get a click sound and no engine start. Then try immediately again and nothing. I wait a few minutes (sometimes up to five minutes) and vehicle will start up as normal.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no this is it
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Hipo64 replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** will assist you wiyh your question

Expert:  Hipo64 replied 2 months ago.

problem is not in key fob batteries. Key has two separate functions. FOB batteries are only needed for locking unlocking function

Expert:  Hipo64 replied 2 months ago.

Your problem is most likely a failing Starter motor.

Expert:  Hipo64 replied 2 months ago.

Starter solenoid contacts are burned and it will produce clicking noise when you try to start. it will start happening more often

and one day will not work again. Best way to test it is using a test light in moment of click but no start

Expert:  Hipo64 replied 2 months ago.

Starter has one large size wire connected directly to battery and one small wire that has power on it only when key is turned to start position. if you have power on the small wire when attempt is made to start Engine, then replace starter

Expert:  Hipo64 replied 2 months ago.

please let me know if you have any questions

Regards Pavlin

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks Pavlin Is this an expensive repair? Is it complex of a job to remove the starter and replace. Thanks again
Expert:  Hipo64 replied 2 months ago.

Good Morning, Job is not that bad even though engine and transmission must be lowered.

Some shops may quote you with engine and tranny removal to do the job,but that is not necessary

only rear of tranny is lowered on the hoist and job takes about 2 hours.

Related PartsElectrical Repair ManualIgnition Starter SwitchStarter BoltStarter Motor Shim MERCEDES-BENZ 2007 B200 2.0L L4 Turbocharged Electrical Starter MotorPrice VALEO 438079 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Position / Degree: L 38; Number of Teeth: 9; Clamp: NON; Rated Power [kW]: 1,25; Voltage [V]: 12 Info Kw: 1.3; Voltage: 12 * Stocked in outlying warehouse--shipping delayed up to 1 business day CAD$" 166.37

shows one for 166 Canadian dollars

you can also check with your local Automotive suppliers