Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs.

I have a 2007 ML63 with 139,000 miles on it (it's near

Customer Question

I have a 2007 ML63 with 139,000 miles on it (it's near perfect and runs awesome!) Recently there's a nasty rattle that lasts a couple seconds at start up... It's not every day and it happens at the first start of the day or if parked for more than a few hours. It's clearly an oil issue but the "guesses" range from cam actuators to "its normal"... I've heard of it happening with low miles while under warranty and MB had a service bulletin about the issue as far back as 2009. Under warranty, they replace the actuators and tensioner but even after that some had the problem again... Since mine is intermittent, I'm having a hard time deciding what to replace. I'd hate to spend a lot of $ and not fix the problem...
I recently changed the oil and let the car sit overnight before opening the oil filter housing to see if the oil was being retained at the top of the motor and it did. Nearly a qt. drained out when I opened the filter housing and there was still oil in the housing below the first drain valve after I removed the filter so it doesn't seem to be from that... Any thoughts? Thanks!
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. I have looked through the service bulletins from Mercedes and have one that may apply. I have enclosed in in the link below. Have a look and see if this will help you determine the source of your noise.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm familiar with this service bulletin as well as the one prior but I'd like to know the cause and understand why it's intermittent as this will provide a solution. Many people have completed these repairs and had the problem come back - some within a couple weeks... Any ideas??
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately this is all I have. I will open the post back up for you and perhaps someone else may have something to offer.