Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

I cannot adjust the power driver seat to go backwards, and

Customer Question

I cannot adjust the power driver seat to go backwards, and it is too upfront to drive.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: It is a CL500 2004
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried everything in the book. My boyfriend likes to mess with switches, and that was when it stopped working.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No - messing with switches!
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
CLK500e, which is new to me - last 3 months!

oh ok, so you stated CL in the original story,. what is your vin number?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
WDBTJ75J34F096521

OK THANKS CLK :)
ok so the motor is the same motor that moves back and forth so the issue will be with the switch most likely, do you have the memory buttons on the door? numbers 1,2 and 3?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do. It continues to move forward but not backwards. It has got to the stage that I am so scrunched up, that it is very dangerous to drive, and difficult to get in and out - I am 5'7"

ok, did you try to press any of the numbers buttons?

sometimes the stored memory will allow the motor to move opposite despite the switch failing.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tried every configuration, although I have never used the pre-set mode.

ok gotcha, so next is , when the car is running and driving does the dash say anything like "backrest not locked"??

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No. The only thing that comes up is "no malfunction"

ok ok, so the only way we can do this is to get tricky under the seat. there are 4 motors to your seat. we can swap the connections and then use a different position of the switch to move the seat. so like if you were to move the backrest it would move the seat bottom if that makes sense.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This seems complicated, and it may take time for me to do it. Can you explain further?

i can, so whatever you do, do not move the seat forward any more :)

move the seat up as far as you can. as in UP not FORWARD

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK, I will go and do that now. One moment.

ok the red square is the motor we need to locate to trace the wire to the big module that is the green square, then locate the connector in the orange square and unplug the connector by pulling it out, and also pull out another connector that looks the same ( again there are 4 that look identical and all have the same color wires in the connection) and then swap them, then we can try the seat switch to see how it moves.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are you saying that the wires are under the seat?

correct that is why i want you to move it up. did you want to try this later tonight and we can do a phone chat?

maybe facetime?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I would like to see what we can do, and then speak again later. I saw one video on ehow, which said to purchase a intermotor whatever, and replace it underneath the spare tire in the trunk!

WOAH, easy with online stuff, there is nothing that concerns this issue in the trunk

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok

ok , did you see my diagram?

Joan are you still needing help?

Please take a second and click the STARS above and rate my service 4 or 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Thanks for choosing just answer. Also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks again , Lou P.

Joan sorry to bother you, i am just wanting to know if i can close this out and if you feel i was helpful or not?