Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician

My 2000 SL500 odometer & temperature reading have gone dark.

Customer Question

My 2000 SL500 odometer & temperature reading have gone dark. The other gauges remained illiminated
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you checked the coolant level?
Customer: 98K miles. I have not checked the coolant level, but I can do that when I get ogg work
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried nothing so far, I probably would have my Mercedes repairman fix it
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

On most models there is a back light bulb that burns out in the cluster that causes this to go dark.The instrument cluster is removed and on the back side the bulb is removed and replaced to correct this here.The bulb is cheap and usually has to come from a dealer or service facility that works on these and takes less then a half hour to replace.I have had to replace several of these bulbs for this exact fault here.

The only other thing that can be at fault here as this also occurs is that little led display burns out on some and needs replaced instead of the bulb but usually it is the back lit bulb that needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete