Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician

I have an srs malfunction, 2013 c300, Only just turning my

Customer Question

I have an srs malfunction
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 2013 c300
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Only just turning my engine on and off
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: Automatic 43k
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not at all
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The SRS light indicates a fault is detected with the air bag computer.This can be a number of different faults from faulty air bag collision sensors,air bags themselves at fault,steering angle sensor,air bag/SRS (supplemental restraint system) computer,etc.

What has to be done from here is to have the fault codes checked/read out with a compatible scan tool that can plug into your vehicle and read the srs computer for codes.Once this is done the codes are then diagnosed to locate and repair this issue here.

I did some searching and do not see any common issues or technical service bulletins on this model for this message/light being on so the codes do need checked to then locate and repair this issue.

In some cases a local parts store like Auto Zone may be able to read the codes at no charge to you but usually cannot diagnose the fault.But a dealer or repair center that works on Mercedes can read and diagnose the codes.

One of these components is at fault here and having the codes read out will help locate which is the cause.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete