MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

2008 Smart for Two. Replaced battery. Everything works

Customer Question

2008 Smart for Two. Replaced battery. Everything works except car won't start. Have called 800smartusa twice; roadside assistance agent said there's a security code that needs to be replaced, but he doesn't know what it is. Customer service checked my VIN against their records and say there is no special code that needs to be reset and it should start. I'm 150 miles away from a dealer - Smart Roadside Service will tow it for $540! Out of the question. AAA will tow it for somewhat less, but still prohibitive. Have tried both keys but no difference. Any advice?
JA: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?
Customer: No
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried jump starting old battery - no go. Tried trickle charge for 12 hours - no go. Bought battery ... took pictures of old battery before disconnecting it and installed new battery to look the same as the pictures. Tried both keys - doors lock and unlock, so believe keys to be good. Called dealer in St Louis - left message, but no reply. Frustrated!
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Car wasn't driven for about two to three weeks, but other than that can't think why old battery would have totally drained. Even so, why would all the accessories and AC work and car not even crank now?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 7 months ago.

Hello, sorry this is happening, so does the dash display the P for park?

are you still with me?