virtual auto tech.
virtual auto tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 13 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop

2014 E350 Sedan with 31,000 miles; Regular Dealer service..

Customer Question

2014 E350 Sedan with 31,000 miles; Regular Dealer service.. Went to car wash then got gasoline. Check Engine light came on and will not shut off. Have let care sit 3-4 hours; unscrewed and replaced gas cap 4 times. Still did not shut off. Scrolled through dash messages; no messages found or service warning.. Was planning to drive tomorrow @100 mile roundtrip in LA traffic.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Stays on.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Re-started car several times; pulled out of garage and put back in garage 3 times. Unscrewed gas cap 3 times and replaced. Turned over and re=installed cap. No change.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Would Gas Additive help if carbon build-up? Have not had any stalling, stumbling or other problems before. The check engine light came on once before on delivery day Had car 5 hours; 02 sensor failed and it took dealer 3 days to get replacement part.
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Am planning to drive car early tomorrow morning. Need answer tonight.
Expert:  virtual auto tech. replied 2 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.Sorry for the late reply, so if the cel came on but it's not flashing then it should be fine to drive it. I can't tell you what's wrong with out knowing the codes but some water probably got in a sensor harness or something. But like I said if it's not flashing and everything else is ok (all the rest of the gauges are normal, and it's running ok) then it's ok to drive till you can bring it to the dealer.Also you can take it to a autozone and have the codes read and let me know and I'll help you with them.Let me know if this helps.Thanks
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Do you still need help with this problem? Was I of help to you?
Please let me know.
Also if you wouldn't mind rating my help, it doesn't cost you anything more to do so.