sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

ABS ETS light on, brake light good, cruise control not

Customer Question

ABS ETS light on, brake light good, cruise control not working
JA: While using the cruise control can you accelerate or decelerate? Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: no i have not check the fuses. before ETS ABS lights on, it was Check Eng light on... then it disappeared suddently
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 1995 s320
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I wish I can fix this myself but I won't mind to send to a good hand
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: he must know mercedes
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

These lights have come on because the ABS module either isn't awake or it has seen a failure in the system and set a fault code. There are many things that will cause this ranging from the module itself, loss of power or ground to it, wheel speed sensors, the brake switch, the hydraulic control unit and pump motor, and wiring between any of the components. If the cruise control stopped working at the same time then odds are the problem is brake switch, speed sensor or module related.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool or code reader to first see if the module is communicating, and if so to see what fault codes have set. Testing will be done from there based on the findings.