Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician

Hard start,dies, Ok,been through all this basic stuff, 78

Customer Question

Hard start,dies
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Ok,been through all this basic stuff
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 78 450sl
JA: What year is your SL?
Customer: 78
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Check all vacuum seems to be in order,was starting fine last week,running even but bogged over 2750 rpm like a headwind
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Firing order fine ,spark box,coil etc all working,,fuel pump shuts off just as it starts unless I gun it at 3000 plus,and then sputters after 1+ minutes,no idle
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Where you at?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In some cases this type of fault here can be caused by a weak/intermittent fuel pump failure.I have seen the fuel pumps fail commonly needing replaced.I have had to replace the pump and filter at the same time for this issue here.If you have not had the pump tested to see if this is the cause here this needs done.If this was done and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete