Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician

I own a 1998 ML 320, built in oct. 1997 Since a got the ml

Customer Question

Hello Paul,
I own a 1998 ML 320, built in oct. 1997 Since a got the ml in 2007, it's the third time that i have key communication loss with the vehicule.
First time i sent the truck to the dealer, they fixed it, at $600.00, just diagnostic and programming, no parts, to much for me.
The second time, i just order a programmed key at $250.00 the tech told me that it was useless to do it, but it works.
Now, i'am far from the dealer, i'am in the forest for fishing.
i'am sick of this security system, i like my ML-320, i take care of it, and keep my cars more than 15 years normally,
I'am convinced that we can bypass the system or maybe simply in changing the stabiliser unit without programing key.
Please, tell me what is the best to fix it without dealer in the area.
Thanks Paul !
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Unfortunately there is no way to bypass the security system for your model here unless you have an installer install a remote start system with a bypass module.

The immobilizer that reads the key is the most common to fail needing replaced.No programming is needed when it is replaced and I suspect yours is acting up as this was a common issue.This is a module locate within another module under the dash and not the key reader ring itself.In some cases the ring around the key cylinder causes this needing replaced but usually it is the module under the drivers side of the dash needing replaced.A dealer has to order this in already pre programmed for your model.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete