Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs.
7276279

Actually I have two problems, tho possibly related. My 1992

Customer Question

Actually I have two problems, tho possibly related. My 1992 500SL stalls frequently at low idle or even at low speed which can be frightening as everything stops working!! AND the ASR light is on all the time. A local shop replaced the Idle Control Valve (about $600 parts and labor) without an improvement. Any ideas?? I've heard wiring harness, throttle body, throttle actuator.....
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: No check engine light and it stalls both at idle and when driving, usually a low speed or when turning (which you do slow to do). The loss of power steering and brakes is rough to take!!!
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Outside of my ability, way outside.............
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's it, car has 88,000 miles
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. In order to determine why the engine is stalling you are going to need to do some testing. I have enclosed the things that will need checking to determine the cause.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/MB%20stalling%20Aug%205.pdf

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ron, I'm afraid this one can't be answered in words.....from all I've learned it seems that I've walked into a hornets nest of possibilities requiring expensive trial and error hands-on work!
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Okay . If you need my help, I will do what I can from here.