Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

2000 e320 4matic stop charging battery. Replaced battery and

Customer Question

2000 e320 4matic stop charging battery. Replaced battery and alternator but same issue
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: Shows 12 before car is started. Once running stops drops fast, car stalls around 8
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Changed battery and alternator but car isn't charging battery
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Was running fine then stalled. Had to replace battery to drive home. But did have water leak into area under back seat prior to that
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you

ok, so i would want you to check voltage at the negative cable where it bolts to the body, that cable is known to fail and corrode and cause high resistance. also we need to check the plug on the alternator to make sure it has power and also we need to check the big cable on the back of the alternator for battery power as well.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok I will check those things. You don't it has anything to do the x4/10 prefuses? Two people suggested maybe issue

it very well can , BUT we need to verify first if the alternator has power and the battery cable is ok. you have the right thinking BUT i do step by step instead of rushing to a result.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I understand

so lets start with those. and go from there. and please i know this may be a slow process but do not go further than what i ask or it will put us on the wrong page and can drag this out even longer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do I have to remove rear carpet to exposure where neg cable bolts to floor?

no its by the battery under the seat.

should only be like 1-2 feet long if i remember correctly.