Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician

I have 2002 SLK 320 top is down will not reopen motor does

Customer Question

i have 2002 SLK 320 top is down will not reopen motor does not run
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Do you see any warning messages on the dash at all with this issue here?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Do you hear any noises at all when trying to operate the roof/top?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i was driving with top down apparently hit a couple of bumps warning buzzer and and top selector light flashing afterwards top
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

O.k.,what usually occurs is one or more of the micro switches/position sensors send an incorrect signal on what position the roof is in.When this occurs this disables the roof from operating.I suspect one came out of adjustment when you hit the bumps or was damaged needing replaced.This is very common.

What has to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers here.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed and will help locate and repair this fault here.The scan tool needs to be one that can communicate with the roof computer.The scan tool is also used to monitor the roof sensor signals to locate one that is at fault needing replaced.

In some cases all that is needed is to have the codes cleared out/erased to correct this fault if a one time fault code set that there is no real issue to then clearing it out with a scan tool will correct this.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i appreciate advise given where can i find scan tool
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

You would need a higher end scan tool to read the codes and data signals from the roof computer.Usually this requires a dealers sds machine to do this but a scan tool like this here can do this as well but they can be expensive.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete