MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes

I have a 2015 Mercedes ML 350 with 76000 kilometers. The

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2015 Mercedes ML 350 with 76000 kilometers. The check engine light just came on.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It stays on
JA: What is the model of your '15 Mercedes?
Customer: ML 350
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried nothing yet, wanted to do some research
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not that i can think of
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  eautosales replied 2 months ago.

do you have a code reader/ scan tool and can check for codes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Unfortunately I do not have a code reader or scan tool
The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vacuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causesif you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failure

i see now that you are from a different country do you have a parts store that does free diag and will pull codes for you? If you do not you will have to either pay a mechanic to pull codes for you or buy a scan tool