Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

Mercedes c230 1999 check engine MIL with following codes:

Customer Question

P1420,0446,0443,1235,0135,0141,1525,1236
Also BAS/ASR but I think this is a desperate issue with switch gap
Please advise
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The fault codes need cleared out with a fully compatible scan tool then the engine ran and check and see which codes come back again.This may be an issue with the engine wiring harness as I have seen before on some models needing repaired or replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
pete ...some confusion with multiple accounts....did not see your response on theCustomere--mail......already paid 24.00......
so the super charger is engaged at start-up....i cleared codes by disconnecting negative...when car started no MIL light but the idle is cycling is horrific.......when i put into gear smoothed out a little...but nowt for long.....while i thing the clutch bearing i shot on the supercharger i an wondering of the eight codes are indicative of a defective ECU that is also causing the clutch to engage which is further aggravating the engine performance.....
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Disconnecting the battery wont clear the codes on this model here.You have to have them cleared out with a scan tool that can communicate with all computers.You may also need the idle learn re learned now that the battery was disconnected as this can wipe out the idle learn causing a surge or rpm/idle issues.It is possible that the engine ECU is faulty but I would have the codes cleared with a scan tool then the idle relearned with the scan tool and see what codes come back from there as well if the idle is corrected and let me know if this is o.k. with you.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
getting scan tool tomorow
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

O.k.,let me know what you come up with here when your ready.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i tried to rest the ECU without clearing the codes (held accelerator down for 5 secs with key in accessory waited 2 minutes). Now instead of running rough the car just cranks...will turnover if I spray ether into intake but then stalls out with engine just cranking....do you still recommend clearing codes to understand why supercharger is always engaged?
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

If you can clear out the fault codes this will help.I have seen in some cases where one or more codes may not be at fault here and clearing them out will help isolate which codes are setting for this fault here.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
don't know if this account is still considered active.....when trying to pull codes with a full function scanner (but not a mercedes OEM scanner) there was no communication to the CAN bus....either a harness short to ground or a dead ECU......could you supply me with the schematic test procedure to check the entire ECU harness? also, if there is no harness problem and I buy the exact ECU from eBay (A028 545 46 32....261 206 459......99M06) will it have to reprogrammed at mercedes (1999 C230) or will it plug and play? Thanks
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
response?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Is there no communication to any computers on your model here?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
correct no communication to any module
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

O.k.,this is a difficult question for me to be able to answer fully from here myself but others here may be able to assist further on this.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
received ECU from eBay....no one else responded to question about plug and play if I install.....can you refer this problem to another mechanic if necessary....thanks