Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.

I changed the radio while the car was on after I stopped the

Customer Question

hello I changed the radio while the car was on after I stopped the car & shut it off wont restart
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: yes checked fused disconnected battery etc
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 1994 500sl
JA: What year is your SL?
Customer: 1994 convertible
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: disconnecting battery taking radio out reset code checked fuses locked unlocked door drivers door wont lock passenger will
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: alarm does go off but will shut off with key in door
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 2 months ago.

Hello, there should have been a single wire that slid on the back of the radio, that is a ground wire for the alarm system, the wire needs to be hooked to a ground. so check for that wire. let me know if you remember it or seen it . also if you give me your vin i can make sure that i am correct on your year. Lou P

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that wire was on the original radio... i changed the radio once so far & That ground wire as you call it is for the cd player....maybe its a grounds too... that was plugged in i went back to the other radio that didn't have a place to plug it in ....a phone call would be much easier & faster

ok so i want you to ground that wire on sheet metal and then lock and unlock the car with the key and see if it will now start.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ill try it but the drivers door won't lock with key passengers will...

ok, sorry i cant take a phone call until after 4pm illinois time, if that is ok i will take the call then, also do you have a key fob? if not close all the doors and lock and unlock the trunk, that should do the same.