cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Qualified to repair all makes and modeld

Why is my Mercedes model om 904 La diesel engines so slow,

Customer Question

Why is my Mercedes model om 904 La diesel engines so slow
JA: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: It's a 2006
JA: What is the model of your '06 Mercedes?
Customer: It isn't in a Step Van it is a model om 904 La CID is 259
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No no I've had the vehicle for many years but it's just really slow on the take off and it's not the turbo I don't believe
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I thought at first it was the wastegate on the turbo I'm not sure I hear the turbo but
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  cardoctor74 replied 3 months ago.

Most common is the turbo unfortunately? Is the check engine light on and are there any codes stored in the computer? It can be a faulty egr valve or clogged egr passages but not as common. Also catalytic convertor is not clogged?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've never replace the EGR valve on it or I don't think it has a callate converter unless I don't know where it's at but
The catalytic convertor is under the vehicle. I would remove and clean the egr valve and passages and see for this makes a difference. If not you are going to need to focus on the turbo unfortunately.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It doesn't have a catalytic converter but it does have a transmission light on so I'm going to have that checked
OK that's explains alot. It should have a catalytic convertor unless otherwise was removed. But the transmission light is a telltale sign there's a mechanical or electrical issue causing this. Need to see what code is stored and that will help pinpoint the issue. These are the next steps. Hoped this helped. Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated.I'm here if you need any further assistance.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you Tom I'll keep you updated
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm familiar with what the catalytic converter looks like but underneath his only a muffler and then of course the tailpipe so I don't know if it had one at one time then it was probably before 2006 but
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Oh by the way it's on a 16 foot freightliner Step Van that's what the engine is in
Expert:  cardoctor74 replied 2 months ago.

Ok sorry for the delay did you still need assistance ?