Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

We had a thunderstorm and the tail lights of my 350 M SUV

Customer Question

We had a thunderstorm and the tail lights of my 350 M SUV 2008 came on and would not turn off. The tailgate also would not open. Signal lights will not work. I do not have the 800 number to call Mercedes Benz.
JA: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?
Customer: I don't know how to check the bulbs. I can't get the tailgate up with the key or switch.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer:(###) ###-####M Class
JA: What year is your Mercedes?
Customer: 2008
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked the fuses in the engine, and took the hot and ground wire loose from junction box
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The ground wire and the hot wire were on the same post.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 10 months ago.
Hello. It sounds like you have a water leak in the car and the water damaged the control modules. That is why the lights are on. The only way to shut them off is to disconnect the battery but it won't be easy. The control module is in the bad right panel on the bottom so you could unplug it I suppose. And no the ground and positive are not on the same post. You may be referring to the black insulation. That is not a ground.
Take the right side panel and open it to see the fuse box. Look toward the bottom and toward the rear light and you will see the module on the bottom mounted to the sheet metal. You can open the rear hatch from the inside. There is a mechanical release.
1-800-FOR-MERCEDES (1-***-***-****
Hope this helps. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉 Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.

Hello checking in to see what the results were with the car? what did you end up doing?