Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

I have a 2010 GL550 I bought last year. A few months ago the

Customer Question

I have a 2010 GL550 I bought last year. A few months ago the rear passenger side started to lower itself overnight. But not always. Some days it stays up normal. It will raise itself within 10 seconds after starting the engine. Then two days ago the other side [driver side rear] was lower than the passenger side. If I raised the vehicle before parking it...then it stays up for days without sagging no problem. It will lower itself as soon as I reach speed of about 50 KLM/hr. What is happening with this thing?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

ok from what you say you either have failing air bags or you have sticking links on the sensors. do you repair your own cars? or will you have a shop look at it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Lou,I am a handy mechanic and do a lot of repairs my self
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just trying to get some answers from you fellows first before i attempt anyting
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The vehicle will stay raised for days...would this happen if the bags are no good?

ok so there are links that mount between the control arms and the level sensors, we need to give them the Q-tip test, see if you can spin or twist the links in your fingers, if not we need to remove them and clean and grease them and reinstall. then see if the car acts normally.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok will do...I do not have access to the vehicle at this moment.

no worries i am not in a rush and we are not timed.

sometimes the level sensor bind, so if the car does lower due to air temp or what have you the linkage will bind and make the control module think that the level is correct even though it is in fact not. so that is the first thing we check. if it was a air bag leak it would continue to sag lower and lower no matter what . we all know leaks do not fix them selves.