Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

I have a 1983 Merceds 380sl. The oil filter every auto parts

Customer Question

I have a 1983 Merceds 380sl. The oil filter every auto parts store and every Mercedes deal specifies does not fit - too tall and too wide to fit in canister???? I currently have in hand a STP filter S2859a which is one of the recommended filters yet it does not fit?? I do believe the canister is original equipment yet since this car is germany registered possibly there is another filter??? None of the local Benz dealers have an answer
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** long as the STP filter is not mis-packaged it should be the right filter for your SL. There were never any other part numbers for the SL filter regardless of where it was made. Look down into your filter housing and make sure that the rubber o-ring from the bottom of the old filter is not still attached to the bolt. Also look at the motor and make sure that the o-ring from the top of the filter is not still on the filter housing. If the Mercedes filter will not even fit in the canister then the filter housing must have been changed. Send me a picture of your filter canister and I will see if it looks any different than the original one. Also send me a picture of the old oil filter and the engine so I can see if anything looks different.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
taking car back to dealer,, I believe their mechanic was trying to put the filter in the wrong container. I will let you know tomorrow.
Expert:  Marty replied 2 months ago.

Okay, I'll be here if you need anything.