Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

Had replaced on R350 the front brakes and rotors at 107584

Customer Question

Hi - had replaced on R350 the front brakes and rotors at 107584 miles, at dealership, and now am at a different dealership (for a variety of reasons), and at 132,000 they are calling out that rotors are below spec and brakes down to 3 mm....seems awfully quick, although I know that my wife is heavy on the brakes
JA: How old are the brakes? How many miles on the car? Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Brakes are from March 2015. I'm a bit lazy (and busy), so I let the dealership service usually do most (but not always everything) of what they recommend
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No...
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Eric replied 3 months ago.

Ok, it is very possible for a variety reasons, and just as an aside, you have the right to have them measure them in front of you to verify the measurements.

Now as to the reasons - one obviously is driver braking habit. The other 2 main reasons are either sticking caliper pistons or sticking caliper slides and hardware, so these need to be inspected.

But there is an easy way to tell. If the inboard and outboard pad are worn evenly and same thickness, then it is driver braking habit. If the inboard pad is worn more than the outboard pad it is due to sticking caliper pistons. If the outboard pad is worn more than the inboard pad, it is due to caliper slides and hardware.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating