Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 23 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing

My sprinter has sat weeks. When i tried to start it it won't

Customer Question

my sprinter has sat for 3 weeks. When i tried to start it it won't even turn over. I tried jump starting it -- still wouldn't turn over. I've had it on a charger for about an hour -- still no luck. What else can I try?
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: they are not corroded. It's a 2016 that I picked up in January.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried jump starting and charging the battery and yes I would like to fix it myself.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

If the van's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you