Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs.

ABS and ESP Inoperative See owner's manual" message appears

Customer Question

ABS and ESP Inoperative See owner's manual" message appears in my dashboard display and steering then gets difficult
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Happened once a week ago and now it is intermittent but frequent
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 2008 S550 4Matic
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Haven't tried anything yet.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: If it is any fix, I can handle it. I replaced then main starter battery a week ago about when this started to appear.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. The ABS and ESP lights come on when the system sees a fault and when this happens the computer system will detect and set a fault code and or codes. In order to determine what is causing the problem you are having you are going to need to start with having the system scanned and the fault code and or codes retrieved. If you can get this scan done and post back with them, I can direct you in the needed repair.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This information is basic and not very helpful. I was hoping to receive a more substantial reply providing several possible causes and what the repair would likely cost. From basic online searching, it appears this is not an uncommon problem with this make, year and model car.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately with out knowing the fault codes anything I post would be guessing at best. There is no way to estimate the cost of the repair with out knowing what is failing. I will open the post back up for you and perhaps someone else will take a guess for you. I would need the fault code to provide you with an accurate answer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I appreciate your further reply Ron. In fairness, however, I'm sure that, were you the one asking it hardly seems worth $31 to hear "you need to hook the car to a diagnostic unit" - which is what a normal person would do in any event. I figured I would try JustAnswer out of curiosity but, perhaps, the tomong of my question is premature.