Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

Mercedes-Benz SLK230: Trunk lifts a centimeter or 2 and stops

Customer Question

I need help with my slk 230 convertible top. Windows go down when i hit the red button on center console and trunk makes sounds and tries to lift but moves just a centemeter or two and sounds like either pump or motor is working but nothing after that.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Disconnect both of the battery cables, and hold them together for five minutes. That should reset the system and hopefully get the top working.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
drain the batteries power source by holding terminals together? I will go try and let you know
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

remove them from the battery and hold them together. Keep them away from the actual battery terminals.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i will try and let you know but i would be very suprised if this works as the mechanism is working!! Im gonna lean on it being a switch needing to be replaced but lets see
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

It could be a sensor problem as well. You would need a Mercedes scan tool or high end shop scanner to be able to tell what sensor is causing the problem.