Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 1989 300e, and the engine had been running a little

Customer Question

I have a 1989 300e, and the engine had been running a little rough but now when the car is turned off the lights will flash for some time and eventually turn off. Now they are staying on until the battery dies. I am not sure if its the anti-theft system tripping it or what. Please help
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Are you there?
JA: No. I'm the Mercedes Mechanic's Assistant.
Customer: So you cant help me?
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 1989 300e
JA: What year is your Mercedes?
Customer: 89'
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Normal maintenance. Im not sure if I plan to fix this myself. Im trying to figure out what is going on with it and then will move forward with having either you guys repair it or possibly myself if it is a simple problem.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No, not that I can think of
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** your lights are flashing after you turn the car off it does sound like there is a fault with the alarm module. The best thing to do is just disconnect the module. Let me know if you need help disconnecting the module and I will reply back with instructions in the morning.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Marty,Thank you for the quick response. The lights stay flashing only after I turn off the vehicle. I am not sure where the module is so if you could help me tomorrow locate and disconnect the module that would be awesome. Unfortunately I work 8am - 5pm and will not be home until roughly 5:30pm. I am not sure if you will be available so if not just please explain it as much as you can and I will try to get it done. Once again thank you Marty for this information.Best,Kyle Sweeney
Expert:  Marty replied 4 months ago.

Hi Kyle, sorry for the wait I had a busy morning. The alarm control unit is located underneath the passenger side foot rest panel. Remove the carpet and the panel and disconnect the two plugs from the Becker control unit. I've attached a picture below. Let me know how it goes.