sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

My GLC waits too to beep obstruction--only 12 inches!

Customer Question

My GLC waits too long to beep for an obstruction--only 12 inches!
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I'm assuming it's the park assist system you're referring to. The system should work at more than twelve inches but there are factors such as height and speed which will affect what the sensors see. The dealer is correct in that there isn't a way to adjust how far the system works. I'd be surprised if it isn't working correctly yet there isn't a warning being displayed, especially on a brand new vehicle.

Under what conditions and what objects is it not detecting when you believe it should?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It works as the manual describes. Visual yellow LED's light up when they should and beeps sound when the 6th LED goes red and the car is 12 inches or so from the obstacle (manual says 10 inches). My problem is that I think M-B's design is poor. I was hoping that dealer was wrong and system could be reprogrammed to sound at a greater distance like my previous Audi A6. Guess not.

Unfortunately there isn't a way to change the design of the system.