Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

My mercedes benz c300 2011 won't start, teh battery is new,

Customer Question

HI, my mercedes benz c300 2011 won't start
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: teh battery is new, the engine does not do nothing. When I put the key into the ignition switch I only see the miles and nothing else
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried scanning it at a mechanic which has the equipment and he told me to buy a fuse box near the battery in the hood but nothing helped
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 4 months ago.

Hello. How many keys do you have ? If more than one does the car not work with both keys ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hi, I only have 1 key
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The mechanic told me that the key is not the problem but I don't know since the car stayed 3 months at his garage and he could not start it

Ok so the issue is either the key or the ignition switch that the key goes into. A few of my customers have had luck by taking their key apart and seeing if the transponder coil had broken off the tip. That would confirm a bad key. I'll send a picture over as to what I am talking about.

He also told you the fuse box was the problem lol. Trust me. You are not the only C class owner with this issue.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
yeah he told me a lot of things and he is the best apparently on the island. I am in Curacao so I prefer we chat here if you don't mind
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok thank you...should I take my key apart?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
should I do that and send you a picture?

If you are referring to the phone offer that is automated suggestion. It's ok. So when you come into the shop the first thing we need is 2 keys for an issue like this. Since you only have one your only way to make sure the key is the issue without buying a second one is to take it apart and check that top silver tube. Make sure it's connected to the key and there are no water marks or corrosion on the circuit board.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok, I will do that. give me a couple of minutes
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
could you please guide me through the process since I have no clue how to take it apart

ok let me see how i can do that lol

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just find a video on youtube
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
found

ok good deal.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
give me a couple of minutes to watch the video and try

ok, i do have to leave for a little bit. my own transmission failed on my brand new van so i need to go to the dealer and get my kids carseats out of it. gotta love cars!!

i will be able to see your replies on my phone so i will try and reply asap. so please feel free to send whatever messages over.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
oh nice...the video that I found is not from the same key fob model so it does not help me. I managed to open the part of the battery only
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I found one but the silver part will not come off

You found one what ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am a woman maybe that is the problem

Absolutely not lol that is no excuse :)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hahahah is it maybe glued?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the silver part at the back of they key fob
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
doe I have a limit of time to talk to you? otherwise I will go out and find somebody who can take it apart for me. I can to go a shop

No limit. Is the key the one I sent you a picture of ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Ok so you removed the key correct ? The blade from the remote itself. ?

Try this video. The keys are almost identical in the way they come apart.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I watched the video but the silver part will not come off. I will go to shop and then we will continue

Ok. That's a little tricky and you release the lever inside the key you need to pry the top up with your fingernails.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I went to a shop and they open it for me
I will send you the pictures

Ok

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
here they are
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
only one did upload but you can see if the key is alright or not

It's a blurry. Also turn it over so I can see the other side.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
are you there?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
there you go

Thanks for the pictures. I don't see anything that is standing out. It looks pretty good other than the stuff I see on the bottuns but the circuit board looks to be ok. So it must be the ignition switch.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok so I can I verify that?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that needs to be taken apart also?

The only way to verify that the ignition switch is bad is to have 2 keys and if both keys do not work then the ignition switch is bad. That one you cannot take apart and check anything. Hope this information helps. Let me know what happens or if you need a second opinion on anything but it seems the issue may be the ignition switch. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, can I rate your service after I change the EIS? so I know your advise did help?

if that is what you prefer, that is totally up to you, keep in mind i would much rather an experienced mechanic at a mercedes dealership look over the car as even in my 16 years in the dealer it is still a pain to diagnose the issue. i really want to help that is why i took on your question and the only way i get paid is with a good rating so i am really trying to take care of you the best i can with what info i have. so i dont feel comfortable with you replacing the ignition switch on my account but all that i see does point to the switch SO FAR. keep in mind we are going off of a symptom, not fault codes and electrical testing . so i am a little leary about parts replacement at this time, so for what that is worth. if you have a test light and know how to use it i can advise on a few more things to check to lead us back to the eis or away from it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Someone did scan it for me and it gave the code A22449 nwhich looks likes the ignition switch as you said. And today I took it away so it can be replaced. I spoke with a mechanic at the dealer and he will take care of it. thank you. I will rate your service today.

ok that makes me feel better about your situation :)

please let me know how it goes, and i would really appreciate a positive rating, thank you for your patience in working with me. hope it all goes smooth. Lou P.

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate me so i may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.
Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou P.