Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.

On July 1 I bought a 2002 E320 4 matic. After driving about

Customer Question

Hello, on July 1 I bought a 2002 E320 4 matic. After driving about 10 miles the CEL appeared. My regular mechanic got a P2003 (P0410) error code on a generic scanner, and observed that someone prior to the sale installed a new secondary air pump. I still have the error message. I have 4 months to inspection. Mechanic says the car will not pass inspection with this error code. Do you have a solution? Thanks for your attention!
JA: Let's get those codes to the mechanic so you two can figure this issue out ASAP. How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 125, 338
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will take it to a Mercedes certified mechanic, nut would like to know possible solutions in advance.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Cars runs fine otherwise.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

ok so the common items are either the air pump, or the air pump relay, the first thing we need to do is to apply power to the air pump to make sure it comes on, if so then we need to replace the relay and then check to make sure the relay is being activated. that is the tricky part as the air pump is not always activated, so its best to use a scanner to activate the air pump manually and use that time to check the power output. rarely is it the 2 check valves on the front left and right of the intake manifold but sometimes the valve solenoid (located on the bracket attached to the waterpump) does not open to allow vacuum to the valves to open and allow the air to enter the exhaust. let me know if this helps, Lou P.

did you have the car checked out yet?