Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I was thinking of purchasing a 96 mercedes e320 only thing

Customer Question

I was thinking of purchasing a 96 mercedes e320 only thing is it will only starts in neutral.. can it be fixed and if so is the fix expensive and worth it for a 96
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes everything works and it's drivable..Guy says the owner spilled pop in shifting area and the button is stuck down
JA: What year is your Mercedes E320?
Customer: 96
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no..Guy said it needs a part that cost only $30 at auto zone
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: it's from Texas and has 130,000 miles on it but drives well other than having to put it in neutral to start
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 6 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** car uses a neutral safety switch on the side of the transmission. Replacing the switch should solve the problem of not starting in park. The switch is $79 and takes about an hour to replace. You should be able to get this repaired for around $200.

Let me know if you need anything else. Please remember to rate my service in order for the website to compensate me for answering your question.