sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My manual transmission function is not functioning

Customer Question

My manual transmission function is not functioning appropriately. Comfort and sport modes operate as designed.
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: 2004 e55 AMG 70k miles.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No CEL codes thus far
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not at this time...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 4 months ago.

Hello, what are you experiencing that is making you think that the manual shifting function is not operating correctly?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Comfort and sport modes work without issue. Manual mode will not hold gear but rather auto shift and motor performance bogs under moderate to heavy acceleration (only in M mode)... Manual inputs at the shifter will not take or hold...

ok so with the manual mode if the rpm exceeds a safe range it will automatically upshift. is this what is happening?

and you have to be sure that the tires are not spinning and the esp light coming on indicating wheel slip, sometimes customer confuse wheel slip and traction control with engine issues.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Actually it should hold to redline, but no, the shifting occurs in lower Rpms

no it does not hold to redline.

i will opt out, see if another tech can help.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When I select a gear up or down, the transmission reverts back to whatever gear previously used.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I would happily provide video if needed. I've attempted to add a video file but it errors out. Just will need guidance on posting
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds like you may have an issue with the shifter itself if the trans does operate correctly in automatic.

Were you using the upload file button to try to upload the video?

Do any warning lights come on; have you checked for fault codes?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No warning or cel
No codes
Yes I was attempting to use the "add files"

If it won't upload that way you could use something like Youtube and post the link here.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The video simply illustrates the transmission functioning like a normal automatic trans that shifts at 2000-2200 rpm...

Do you have a scan tool to monitor data?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is the trans controller seeing a request for manual up and downshifts?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please outline the proceedure for this check.
The dash gear selection changes occasionally when manual input of gear selection is made at the D-/D+, but the transmission quickly reverts back to the prev gear or will no allow a change at all and bogs the motor. But I've been over all of this. You Asked me if in have a scan tool to read cel codes and I've told you that there are no codes found for the transmission.

I asked if you had a scan tool to look at data, I did note that there were no fault codes set. What is it that you're using?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dashcommand and kiwi 3
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What are we looking for?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello ????

An actual scan tool is going to be necessary to monitor engine and transmission controller data. This is an example of an entry level scan tool.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok. You are providing me no help here. Thank you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What you actually mean is that I will need star to monitor. Unless you actually would like to make a specific suggestion to resolve a problem or even conjecture as to the potential of the problem. However thus you are giving me one liners that do not further this conversation.

As I mentioned the problem is most likely with the shifter itself, but monitoring data is going to be necessary to check shifter input as well as engine and transmission data to see if the requested shifts are being seen, and if they aren't being commanded then why. The items you referenced are just a novelty to allow a user to see basic things like vehicle speed and RPM, but don't allow actual data monitoring to diagnose a problem.