Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician

02 the top want go down the switch in the middle down it

Customer Question

02 the top want go down the switch in the middle down it flashes slow dose not flash to put up.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: Slk 230 kompresser
JA: What year is your SLK230?
Customer: 2002
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We put a new motor or hydraulic we thought that would fix it but no it made the top up start working but not down.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: New battery and car starts and run great.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you had the fault codes checked at all in the roof computer?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The only coads we got where 715 and 748.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

O.k.,what can fail or act up here that I have seen several times before in the past is a fault with one or more limit/position switches for the roof itself.Your model has several of these and they send signals to let the roof computer know what position the roof and its components are in to allow proper operation.One or more usually fail and this causes the top either to not operate at all or slow operation or operate in one direction in some cases but not the other.

What would need to be done here is to use a fully compatible scan tool to read the signals from the limit switches to pinpoint which is at fault here.Once the faulty switch is located it usually requires replacement to correct this issue here.With what you have described I suspect this is the cause for this issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete