Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

Chirping sound on car that I can't turn off, It's just

Customer Question

chirping sound on car that I can't turn off
JA: How would you describe the sound? Does it happen more when you're braking? Shifting gears?
Customer: It's just sitting unlocked
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 2004
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: locking and unlocking
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If this is a horn chirp and if you have an after market component installed like a remote start or alarm system this may be an issue with the after market system at fault internally with the after market ecu/control unit at fault.I have seen this occur before and had to either remove the after market system completely to resolve this or re wire or replace it.If there are no after market components installed let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just woke up, it's been chirping all night, no after market devices.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Is it the horn that is chirping?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Don't think it's the horn. I'm taking it to a mechanic this a.m., thanks for trying to help.Too little too late.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Your welcome.

The only other thing I can think that would chirp with the key off is an electronic fan.Some models use a cooling fan in the under hood fuse panel and this fan can short out and chirp and run like this here.I suspect this is what will be found needing replaced as I have had to replace several of these before.Some of the new fans that are installed are updated part numbers to prevent this from occuring again.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete