Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

My 05 SL500 had the ABC pump replaced less than 30,000 miles

Customer Question

My 05 SL500 had the ABC pump replaced less than 30,000 miles ago by the dealer. The ABC light has now come on (red) "drive carefully" warning. Restarting the car re-sets this but it soon appears again. This seems to disable the cruise control also. This happened on the return of a trip (100 miles). As I neared home, the SRS light came on (white). I limped home and haven't driven the car since. The engine compartment is dry and clean, there are no leaks, no drips, no sagging, and the ABC fluid level is normal.I haven't driven the car since returning and will take the car to MB service tomorrow. Question... could this be a minor issue (hopefully)?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 months ago.

Hi Herb, the red warning light usually indicates low system pressure. I'm afraid this might be another issue with the ABC pump. You will need to get the car connected to the Mercedes Star Diagnosis tester to at least read out the fault codes in the system. The codes will point to the specific problem. With the SRS light also coming on there could be a battery voltage issue. That would not be as disastrous as an ABC issue. You will need to get the initial diagnosis done to give you some direction. I would expect a 1 hour diagnostic charge for this at the dealer.

Let me know if you have any questions.