Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 99 230 slk with ac problems, I checked pressures

Customer Question

I have a 99 230 slk with ac problems, I checked pressures and eletrical. Found low pressures. And no 12v to clutch. I jumpered 12v to clutch, no reaction. Ohm meter showed open winding. I evac system removed and replaced compressor, flushed the lines, replaced condenser, replaced the tx valve and reciever dryer, vacauumed and recharged. The control system may need to be reset with the star program? However after my adding about one can of 134a the compressor clutch started slipping and the gauges read 175 on hi and low. What did I miss?? Thanks Jim
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 5 months ago.

Hi Jim, 175 psi is not enough pressure to cause the clutch to slip but if you have 175 psi static pressure you have too much refrigerant in the system. If the gauges settle at around 110 psi your charge is probably okay. I'd make sure you are getting 12V to the compressor clutch. Maybe try jumping 12V to the clutch again and see if it works. Also make sure that your condenser fan is turning on.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty