Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

I recently change all 4 struts everything was fine. a few

Customer Question

I recently change all 4 struts everything was fine. a few months passed and now the whole car is sitting low and won't raise. Malfunction indicator on on dash
JA: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?
Customer: No fluid under car,and the ride is ruff
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 2010 Gl450
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No leaks on fittings that I can find,i just put covers off the bottom so I can the compressor.it is running but no lift
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I'll do it myself
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 5 months ago.

Hello. How long does the compressor run ? Also does the compressor have a nice hum noise to it or a loud rattling noise like marbles in a tin can ? Also the car will not raise if you do not have all 4 wheels on the ground and also any doors open. Let me know , we can figure this out. Lou P.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Compressor is running constantly. All wheels are on the ground and doors are closed
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Compressor does not sound loud as a normal sounding hum, message on the dashboard says malfunction

Ok does the message happen after the compressor runs for awhile ? Does the compressor kick on as soon as you start the car or after about 5 seconds of the car Running ? If the compressor keeps running but the car doesn't rise at all then the compressor has most likely failed. It can still fail without sounding bad.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Comes on soon as car starts

Ok it's possible the relay is stuck closed. In the front fuse box it's the center green relay. but if the compressor runs then the system is trying to work. If the car does not try to rise then the compressor is the issue. I know a test we can do but you have to have an air compressor to force air into the line.

It will be tricky but you need to undo the clear pressure line from the compressor and as soon as the car is started pressurize the line. At the same time the compressor should come on and the valve block will open. If the car raises at all then that confirms the compressor is bad. The tricky part is the wheels need to be on the ground or the weight of the car has to be on the wheels.