FIXITMAN, Master Technician

Check engine light is on and runs rough after cranking. Just

Customer Question

check engine light is on and runs rough after cranking. Just had 60,000 mile service 500 miles ago
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately?
Customer: stays on steady and I had what sounded like a belt squeel prior
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 2010 c300
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing so far. we are 50 miles from closest dealer
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Wife said smelled like it was hot
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. Since the check engine light is on the best thing to do would be to scan the computer for codes. You can have this done for free at many auto parts stores. If I knew the codes it would help me to tell you what is going on. Most of the time this occurs because the vehicle has an air flow meter that is failing or a fuel system issue, but it can also be many other things. The fact that the light is on tells me that the computer is also seeing a fault so the codes would help. If you plan on fixing this yourself have the scan done and bring me the codes and we can see if we can get it taken care of.