sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

My van is getting a start error message. Turn key, nothing.

Customer Question

My van is getting a start error message. Turn key, nothing. I've read it's a skreem error bad connection with the key reader module. I am stuck in the middle of nowhere. Is there any way to bypass this so I can get on the road?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Unfortunately there isn't a way to run the engine if the SKREEM isn't validating the key. The problem could be the key itself or the module, if you have another key I would recommend trying it to see if that one will start the engine.

You could jump the starter to crank the engine if it won't crank with the key, but the ECM won't turn the injectors on if the SKREEM hasn't validated the key and sent a bus message to the ECM that it's ok to run.