Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

My 300sl was not getting any gas so I change both of the

Customer Question

My 300sl was not getting any gas so I change both of the fuel pumps now it's getting gas and fire but it just turns over but want catch what could it be.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is this the original fuel pump?
Customer: 55,000
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 1991 300sl r129
JA: What year is your SL?
Customer: 1991
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes before I change the pumps it would start but only ran for 2sec
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Check for fire pulled my #1 plug getting fire checked fuse all good change spark plugs and wires still nothing the cars been setting in the garage for about 4years
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 5 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** an SL with CIS-E fuel injection sits for this long it will almost always need to have a new fuel distributor. The fuel distributor gets rusted internally and will not deliver the proper amount of fuel to the cylinders. You can try removing the fuel distributor and cleaning it with carb spray and check to make sure that the plunger at the bottom of the fuel distributor is not stuck in it's bore. Do not take the fuel distributor apart just clean it and blow it out with compressed air. You can remove the EHA valve (black box) on the side of the fuel distributor and clean out the passages there as well. Also make sure that the distributor cap and rotor are good. It's very common for the cap and rotor to short out on this model.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please click on a rating for my answer as this is the only way that I get compensated by the website for helping you.