Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

My driver side window wont go up or down and my retractable

Customer Question

My driver side window wont go up or down and my retractable hard top roof wont work
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 2004 SLK 320
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Took it to a repair shop last year for the same problem. Paid him $1500 to fix it. Only use the car in the summer. Worked approximately 3 times. Now he says it's the ccm(###) ###-####and wants another $1400 to repair it. I don't trust the guy. Plan on seeing what I can do myself. But don't want to spend all that $ on a part that may not be bad. And can't be returned
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not really except the car isn't worth another $1500 repair, considering what book is on it now. I'd just be happy if I could get the roof retracted and the windows down and just drive it on sunny days :)
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 5 months ago.

Hello. The big question I have is when you press the qi for switch do you hear the motor moving at all in the door or not ?

That would determine if it's an electrical issue or a mechanical window regulator issue. I will not be on all day but I will try and respond asap when you message me. Lou P.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I press the switch I feel the slightest bit of movement. almost feels like the motor wants to function but something is binding it/ holding it back. I also hear a faint click from beneath the glove box but inside the engine wall/compartment
Ok the clicking in the engine bay is the relay working. If you feel movement on the door then you may want to remove the paneling and get the motor free and then recheck it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I assume the ' qi ' switch is the button I push to raise and lower the driver side window. Also when I try to retract the roof, the small windows to the rear of the bigger side windows go down and the passenger side window goes down approx. 1/2" but no further

oh man sorry that was a huge typo, it should have read "when you press the window switch"

what happens (in response to your roof statement) is that the windows are "learned" so the module knows the position of the windows, it is recognizing that the drivers window motor is not in the correct position so it stops the roof opening or closing procedure.

Hello, are you still needing assistance? i have not heard from you for a few days. thanks