Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

2007 E350 when turning the ignition switch to the start

Customer Question

2007 E350 when turning the ignition switch to the start position, nothing happens. Radio is on and instrument cluster is functional. I have to remove the key several times and attempt to start the engine. Finally, after removing and reinserting the key several times it starts.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is usually caused by a bad starter, have you checked for power on the small wire at the starter when cranking?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No. I have not diagnosed the problem. Some shop wanted to replace the ignition switch for $1,000, but they could not tell me how they determined the problem was a faulty switch, since the computer did not set a hard or soft code.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 months ago.

IT IS EASY TO DIAGNOSE, THERE ARE 2 WIRES AT THE STARTER, ONE LARGE COMING FROM THE BATTERY AND ONE SMALL WIRE COMING FROM THE IGNITION SWITCH, YOU NEED TO CHECK FOR POWER ON THE SMALL WIRE, WHEN CRANKING, IF IT HAS POWER BUT THE STARTYER DOES NOT TURN OVER, THEN THE STARTER IS THE CULPRIT, IF YOU DONT HAVE POWER ON THE SMALL WIRE, WHEN CRANKING, THEN ITS EITHER THE IGNITION SWITCH OR THE STARTER RELAY, OR THE ANTITHEFT SYSTEM NOT LETTING IT CRANK,tIM