Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.

I have a 97 Mercedes c230 it runs great but reason I can

Customer Question

I have a 97 Mercedes c230 it runs great but for some reason I can only lock and unlock the car by putting key in trunk I tried the lock inside but when I open door to get out all doors unlock I put new. Battery in the remote I even checked the eye with my phone and it lights
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The first thing that needs done here is to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set.Once this has been done any codes set need diagnosed to help locate and repair this fault here.I have seen issues with the key itself even though it is transmitting with the key needing replaced to correct this issue.I have also seen internal electrical faults in sam control units or PSE control units causing faults like this here needing replaced.

The codes do need read out and this fault diagnosed further to help pinpoint and repair the issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What code there is no check engine or any other thing that pops up
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

No warning message will pop up on the dash with this type of fault here.The codes need read out/checked with a scan tool or dealers sds machine that will plug in and read all computers in your model.This way any codes set in any of the computers can be retrieved.Once this is done then the codes can be diagnosed and repaired to correct this issue here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If I understand correctly the codes can be read with out any warning lights on just plug the scanner in correct
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just had scanned no code came up so what is the next step on locking and unlocking car other than through the trunk
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello can anyone help???/
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Was the scan tool that was used one that can communicate with all computers?If not one is needed that can plug in and communicate with all computers in this model here.Some of the cheaper scan tools/code readers are only able to communicate with engine and transmission computers.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It was the guy asked if I tried reprogramming the key he said on his older a Mercedes some about put key in trunk lock turning back and fourth but he could not rember the rest does this mean anything???
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello anyone there
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

I dont know if a reset procedure like this myself here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 3 months ago.

Hello John, DIFFERENT tech here, are you still needing assistance? i can do what i can to get you fixed up, just let me know if you still need assistance, thanks, ***** *****