MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

1999 ML 320 200k miles- I've owned it yrs, been good. I do

Customer Question

Hi - 1999 ML 320 200k miles- I've owned it for 12 yrs, been good. I do know that this is related to transmission - had inspection, only they inspection only pinpointed it to transmission. Car will start fine- but randomly at stop light in idle it will stall, sometimes will start right up, more often it is approx 5 min - then starts - less often it has stalled and not started for 2 hours. I was wondering if transmission fluid leak - transmission filter, or clean pan, or there is some plug like thing. So what do you think?
JA: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?
Customer: I can't remember ever changing it, but I did have some fluid added recently. When I was under warranty, I always did have them do everything in regular check ups. But that is 5 years since warranty ended.
JA: What is the model of your '99 Mercedes?
Customer: ML(###) ###-####
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would love to fix it myself, but I'm not mechanic, and I dont have the tools to get the transmission pan off even. Or to lift it up safely.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: yes- what is the average labor time to clean transmission pan and replace that plug thing ir anything under the pan?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I had crank shaft replaced last year- so that was a stalling issue, but this is transmission, also the gears sometime slip, but I'm mostly interested in fixing the stall- I realize probably the whole transmission needs to be replaced - with the Geer shifting (and it is automatic) it's mainly a 2ND Geer issue. Stalling is my urgent answer please ( amd today is 90 and it stalled much faster - seems to progressively stall more often. And staying stuck longer.
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I' m Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I' m reviewing your question now, and I will be post back with your reply ASAP

Do you have a check engine light on at this time ?

Has a Diagnostic scan been performed to retrieve any fault codes from the vehicle?

All these symptoms sound like a Crank shaft sensors to me , but you said you replaced it , but it could have went bad again

can you have the fault scanned and bring me the codes , i mean it could be number of things , mass air flow sensors , pcm , fuel pump etc...

i dont think the transmis service will change any of the symptoms of cutting off you are having

Please Let me know

Thank You ***** ( aka -Customer)

ASE Certified Tech