Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 1996 C220 that I find loses power when accelerating

Customer Question

I have a 1996 C220 that I find loses power when accelerating from a stop when it warms up. It is fine when the engine is cold but after driving a few miles, when taking off from a dead stop, there is very little power and the car takes a long time to get above 200 RPM...I just bought this otherwise GREAT old car and I am hoping this is an easy fix.
It's their 145 HP 4 cylinder with the 4 speed auto trans...153000 miles.
Thanks
Mark
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 5 months ago.

Hi Mark, for a symp***** *****ke this I would suggest you replace the fuel filter. If you continue to have trouble I would have the fuel pressure tested. It sounds like either low fuel pressure or restricted fuel flow. The car should also be connected to a Mercedes tester to check for any fault codes stored in the engine control module. The fuel mixture may also be changing when the car warms up and causing poor performance.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please rate my service in order for the website to credit me for answering your question.

Marty