Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Last week I picked up my car from the dealer. I had the

Customer Question

Last week I picked up my car from the dealer. I had the almost reach the next mile check up. I'm 50 miles from the dealership in Assheville, NC. This week I reached the milage for the check up and the check engine light came on. They must have not turned it off.
Can I turn it off or go back to the dealer 50 miles from me.
***@******.***
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 5 months ago.

Hi Bill, no you cannot turn off the check engine light without a Mercedes scan tool. The check engine light is telling you that a malfunction has been detected in the engine management system. I'm afraid this will require a trip back to the dealer to have this corrected. It's possible that they did not get something fitted back properly under the hood and it has caused the check engine light to come on. They will need to read out the fault code stored in the engine control module and make any corrective action needed to keep the light from coming back on again.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please rate my service in order for the website to credit me for answering your question.

Marty

Expert:  Marty replied 5 months ago.

Just to clarify, the check engine light is not the same as the service due light. The check engine light indicates a malfunction whereas the service due light is simply a service reminder.

Marty

Expert:  Marty replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up with you on this question. You never rated my service therefore I never got paid for answering your question. If my answer was helpful I would appreciate it if you would rate my service so I can receive credit from the website.