Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

I left the key on over nite killing the battery. I have

Customer Question

I left the key on over nite killing the battery. I have charged the bat. , but car turns over , but will not fire. Never had this problem before.
JA: Have you tested the battery? Is the battery fluid low?
Customer: No
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 1983 sl
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have not checked anything so far. Could I have burned out something by leaving the key on ?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 4 months ago.

Hi, leaving the key on would not normally damage anything. The first thing I would suggest is that you check to see if the fuel pump is running while a helper cranks the motor. You will need to lay underneath the car and place your hand on the pump to see if it is running. If the pump is not running I would say the fuel pump relay has failed. If the pump is running when you crank the motor then I would suspect you have no spark from the coil. The most likely cause of no spark would be a bad ignition control module.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please rate my service in order for the website to credit me for answering your question.

Expert:  Marty replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up with you on this question. You never rated my service therefore I never got paid for answering your question. If my answer was helpful I would appreciate it if you would rate my service so I can receive credit from the website.