Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs.
7276279

I have a 1991 500SL and am working on both electric seats. I

Customer Question

I have a 1991 500SL and am working on both electric seats. I have (I think) narrowed the problems to the drive gears. One drive gear on the passenger side does not move with the motor. The drivers side has neither drive gear working, except maybe going back (slowly).
I took the 4 Tork bolts off the plate holding the drive gear, and see that the end gear piece is made of plastic (why, I dont know, as that gets the most wear.) My thinking is that after 25 years, the end gear piece, while still having some grooves, may eroded enough down to not turn with the motor when under stress. Is that right?
Seems I may need to just replace the plastic end gear, but I see that on the internet, parts stores want to sell me the whole gear housing (drive gear and housing combo for a staggering 500 bucks a piece?
Any way to find just the end plastic gear?? Finally, any kinks or shortcuts to make the thing work if I cant find the plastic end gear?? Thanks!
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

You diagnostic are likely correct and if in fact that is the case you are going to have to replace the whole assembly. One other portion you may have it to see if you can locate a used unit is a salvage yard. I have posted a link below for searching the salvage yard for an available source.

http://car-part.com/