Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

I recently washed my mercedes key to my clk320 and it doesnt

Customer Question

I recently washed my mercedes key to my clk320 and it doesnt work. So I took it to Mercedes they put new batteries in it, it still did not work. So I dug out my spare key, put the new batteries in it, and the truck, the doors, the panic button works, the alarm went off but the car will not start, its saying remove key, how would I reset this to start?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** but there is no reset for this problem. Either both of your keys are bad or there is a fault with the electronic ignition switch. Since all this happened after you washed the key I would suspect that both keys are bad. The only thing you can try is to leave the old key in the ignition switch for 30 minutes then remove it and try to start the car. If the key will not turn in the ignition and everything was fine before you washed the other key I'd say you have two bad keys.