Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

Pearl. a/c compresser wont come on. I've replaced the

Customer Question

pearl. a/c compresser wont come on. I've replaced the Compresser, and receiver dryer. Vacuumed the system, added one can of freon, but compresser still won't come on.
JA: Have you checked the Freon level? Have you checked the hoses?
Customer: Freon is low. only have one can. needs two cans to fill, but you cant fill the system without help from the compresser.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 230r, 500 sl, 2003 model
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, I'm an ase master tech. I dont know if a low freon code is on the climate control, and wont allow the system to work or if I need a pressure switch or climate control; unit is kaput. Do u know if I can reset this system or do I need a star diagnosis to reset it.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Initially the unit was low of freon, 60 psi static pressure, at 95 degree ambient temp. I believe the front compressor seal was leaking, so I changed the compressor.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will need Star or the equivalent to erase the low refrigerant codes in the climate control module. Once you erase the codes the compressor will turn on.

Let me know if you have any questions.