Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

2004 sl 500 no crank, automatic 105000 k, checked fuses and

Customer Question

2004 sl 500 no crank
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: automatic 105000 k
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked fuses and tried to jump start
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: when you turn the key to start the lights on the dash don't change and the car to low light is on also a Mercedes shop 200 miles away recently checked the car and replaced the abs pump and told us the crank sensor needs to be replaced
JA: Yes, I was born in America.
Customer: ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: I didn't ask where you were born.
JA: Thank you.
Customer: any idea what is wrong with the car?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 5 months ago.

Hi Charles, my name is***** this a crank/no start problem or is the starter not even turning the motor when you turn the key?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is a no crank problem. When the key is turned to start it doesn't make a sound, but the dash lights remain on. It acts like the neutral safety switch is bad. I was hoping you could tell me if there is something on this model that is known to cause this.
Expert:  Marty replied 5 months ago.

The most common problem would be a bad starter followed by a bad relay and then a bad conductor plate in the transmission. The first thing to do is remove the starter relay and bypass it with a jumper lead from terminal 30 to 87 in the relay connector to see if the starter turns. If the starter doesn't work you simply have a bad starter. If the starter works you can try a new relay. If that doesn't work you will need to get the car connected to the Mercedes tester to check the circuit from the ignition switch to the relay. The starter relay is the green relay in the passenger side fuse box under the hood.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please rate my service in order for the website to credit me for helping you.

Marty

Expert:  Marty replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with on on this question. Do you have any more questions about this problem? Are you satisfied with my answer?